On the morning of this September 22 there was a earthquake o’clock at 01:16 hours with epicenter in Coalcoman, Michoacancausing at least two deaths and that millions of people woke up and left their houses. Preliminarily, the National Seismological Service (SSN) indicated that it was a magnitude of 6.5 degrees on the Richter scale.
Minutes later the dependency rectified and confirmed that the intensity was 6.9. The first reports indicate that the telluric movement was perceived intensely throughout the state of Michoacán, Jalisco and Morelos.
Also, the National Coordination of Civil protection (CNPC) indicated that it was perceived moderate to strong throughout Mexico City; strong in Colima and light in the state of Nayarit. In short, it reported that 38.7 million people felt it in 12 states of the country: Jalisco, Zacatecas, Guerrero, Colima, Michoacán, Guanajuato, Edomex, CDMX, Morelos, Oaxaca, Puebla and Tlaxcala.
The total number of properties that were exposed to the incident, the CNPC pointed out, was 11 million 940 thousand 883 homes, 8 thousand 887 health establishments and 88 thousand 206 schools.
The President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador (AMLO) issued a brief statement of just over a minute in which confirmed that the earthquake was magnitude 6.9adding that he also felt in the state of Warrior and that there was no report of damage until the time of its issuance (02:00 am).
According to the SSN they have registered 1,229 replicas of the magnitude 7.7 earthquake that occurred on September 19 with an epicenter in Michoacán, the aftershock this Thursday being the largest to date.
The head of the Government of Mexico City, Claudia Sheinbaum Pardoreported through his Twitter account there were two people deceased as well as reports of power failuresremembering that the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) had already initiated the corresponding protocol for check the electricity supply of the whole country.
The Secretariat of Citizen Security (SSC) explained that after the activation of the seismic alert a woman passed away due to a strong blow to the head falling down the stairs from his home located in the Doctores neighborhood, Cuauhtémoc City Hall.
Another unfortunate death was registered in the Education neighborhood of the mayor’s office Coyoacan. It was a man who suffered a heart attack after the earthquake.
In both cases, the president of the capital said that the relatives will be supported and extended her solidarity.
In addition to the sudden power outages, some residents of the capital indicated that they saw lights in the skysimilar to those recorded in the earthquake of September 2017. According to specialists from Rugers University, in the United States, this phenomenon is called ‘earthquake lights’ or triboluminescence.
In the case of Colimathe educational authorities determined the suspension of classes in all modalities and levelsboth in public schools and in private institutions, at least during the days Thursday 22 and Friday 23 September.
Indira Vizcaino, governor of the entity explained that there was a landslide on the Colima-Manzanillo highway at km 22 due to the earthquake, so cleaning work was immediately carried out. There is already passage in the area.
The emergency corps carried out various inspection tasks in the state, indicating that there were no major damages during the early hours of Thursday.
Henry Alfaro, Governor of Jalisco reported that until the first hours of the earthquake No major damage or injuries were reported.just a sinkhole on the Ocotlan highway to which workers immediately went to attend to the emergency.
He also said that he asked the local Secretary of Education to make a revision to the structure of all schools to ensure that there is no risk and that classes at all levels continue unchanged.
It should be remembered that the people who require emotional support after the earthquake they can call the security line and the Confidence Chat to the number 55 5533 5533 of the Citizen Council that is available with free psychological support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Miguel Angel Navarro The governor of the state of Nayarit did not give any information to the population about the earthquake that occurred in the early hours of this day.
Alfredo Ramirez Bedolla, president of the entity, said that until the first reports and tours of Civil Protection and the Ministry of Public Security (SSP) no major damages were reported, although they continued to evaluate the situation. He urged the population to remain calm.
Evelyn Salgado Pineda, Governor of Guerrero reported that the corresponding protocols were activated to carry out the damage assessment in coordination with Civil Protection and the municipal presidents. So far, no material damage or human loss has been reported.